One Year Ago Today - Aroha Nui

 "Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking stick." (J.R.R. Tolkien )

A year ago today I was flying towards one of the greatest adventures of my life. On June 6 I took a plane heading for New Zealand/Middle-earth . June 6 also happens to be my birthday. I have hundreds of photographs and memories  from my trip on the other side of the world, posting them all  would be impossible, but here are a few of my favorites that reminds me how beautiful and unspoiled New Zealand/Middle-earth  truly is.


It comes as no surprise that the first words for my birthday came from a friend from New Zealand  : " Nga mihi nui me te aroha nui i to ra whanau " which is a lovely Maori greeting  that means :" With love and best wishes for a Happy Birthday!"  As well as my hobbit heart, I left many friends in New Zealand, friends I hope to visit again one day. Nights spent looking at the milky way in the sky . The stars are so clear and bright, you can almost touch them when you are in the mountains.


I read something funny that made me giggle  the other day : "a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" So I asks for a miracle (not a bike) ...and I waiting in the queue. I am happy with 'me' I am happy sometime with my solitude, maybe I am getting older or maybe I am getting younger , and  I love and adore fairy-tales.  I do try to explain how I feel, but I do not like to feel so exposed, it is like seeing inside and out my soul, and what I saw is only mine and precious.  So  no need of big words, maybe I paint the garden shed instead today. Love suck a little...we all know that, however....worry not. Only alone  you will be able to find yourself.


It’s been a long and tiring week and it’s not over yet. I been thinking between work, home duties and headaches. Thinking about friendship and love and loneliness . I feel like I am trying to grab water with my hands…but it’s flowing gently away,impossible task really.I do I like what I see in that reflection on the lake, the REAL me ! Missing New Zealand very much and looking forward to go back one day.


And so back to basics, to a simple hobbity life in the Shire, this is why I am a hobbit after all.  Work on my new home is still very slow,  it is frustrating to have to wait  but I learned things cannot be rushed. Nothing is life is more rewarding as sitting by the fire in the evening when outside it’s raining. Nothing is as enjoyable as freshly hand-washed bed sheets and warm woolen blankets and soft white quilts. No greatest joy then the smell of bread baking in the oven and a bubbling soup on the stove. Nothing can replace the joy of reading a real book and share your thoughts on it with a dear friend or a loving companion. Back to the past to go into the future. Life is so simple and it’s us that are making it so complicated. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.




A hundred mountains and no bird, a thousand paths without a footprint, a  little boat, a white silk cloak, this simple woman walking by the cold river-snow.  I am lying in a white-lined cape while snow approaches, but am thinking only of simple life where I can be….there is the chamber fronting the cold, hidden by the snow, and a lantern on the window swaying my hobbit heart to more simple dreams. The long road ahead will be full of new hardship, with tears , late in the nights, brief intervals of dream. Sending this message, this precious and simple snowflake

How many things there are that I just don't want ? Too many!

How many things there are that I just need ? Few simple ones!





Happy Birthday Lil' Hobbit!

 Aroha nui Lei

Hug ♥

2 comments:

Ess said...

Happy birthday, Lei. *Hugs* May your day be magical. :)

Leilani Amorey said...

Thank you kindly dear Ess *hug* :)