Read Little Hobbit, Read

 Tolkien Reading Day 2013
'Farewell, good thief,' he said. 'I go now to the halls of waiting to sit beside my fathers, until the world is renewed. Since I leave now all gold and silver, and go where it is of little worth, I wish to part in friendship from you, and I would take back my words and deeds at the Gate.' Biblo knelt on one knee filled with sorrow. 'Farewell, King under the Mountain!' he said. 'This is a bitter adventure, if it must end so; and not a mountain of gold can amend it. Yet I am glad that I have shared in your perils—that has been more than any Baggins deserves.' 'No!' said Thorin. 'There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!' Then Bilbo turned away, and he went by himself, and sat alone wrapped in a blanket, and whether you believe it or not, he wept until his eyes were red and his voice was hoarse. He was a kindly little soul.'  (J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit)
To celebrate Tolkien Reading Day 2013 I have chosen probably  the saddest and  most serious moments in The Hobbit story. Thorin is  dying  and his last words to Bilbo are about simple things yet full of wisdom and deep meanings, easy for a simple hobbit like Bilbo ( and the reader ) to understand. Why did I chose this passage ? Because there can be sadness, death,  and tears even in Middle-earth, even in the Shire, and yet, hope and love  shines bright  in Tolkien's beautiful and simple words. Read little hobbit, read....

Hug!

No comments: