True Colors


 True Colors in a London Reflection

I went to London this morning, a city of many colors, so as I was sitting on the train dreaming a bit about the Shire I started thinking about colors. Of course I was wearing white, as I almost always do. Tolkien used all the colors of the spectrum to paint Middle-earth. Each color does talk, has a meaning and a reason to be there. Some are more obvious then other...black represent evil and darkness, white is light. The palette of nature is the one that we can find again and again in Tolkien's stories. The Shire is a land of green fields, gold crops, purple and red berries. Hobbits like to wear yellow, and red and green clothes. He is using colors to fill imagination. If like me, you read the books before seeing Peter Jackson's movies, I am sure you'll understand what I am trying to say. I could actually see places and the characters were alive in my mind and surrounded by the most vivid colors because Tolkien will tell us about each and every single one. From the famous green round door at Bag End, to Gandalf the Grey, and the Black Riders, the Hobbits and Rangers wearing deep green capes, to the Dark Lord Sauron .

If you really look closer in the story you will discover how even the smallest things have a colour...as I said before, it is really a shame Peter Jackson did leave out Tom Bombadil from his adaptation. Colours really do come to life in his house. He is the master of them, wearing a bright blue coat and yellow boots, he lives by a river, close to a willow and his house is filled with sunny and warm colours : he has ‘rush-seated chairs’, and he is ‘crowned’ with autumn leaves. And he serves yellow cream and honeycomb, white bread, and butter, milk, cheese, green beans, and ripe berries. The hobbits will take refuge in Tom's house they will find themselves in a place with a floor strewn with fresh green rushes, and the wall hangings are green hanging mats and yellow curtains. By each bed are soft green slippers. The drink on the table looks like water but acts like wine, the fire smells of apple-wood.

The use of White in the Lord of the Rings is a bit more complex. White is associated with light, holiness and good, and yet we do have Saruman the White witch  will reveal himself as a servant of the Dark Lord.

"...For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colors!"

Gandalf will comment about Saruman :"I looked then and saw that his robes, which had seemed white, were not so, but were woven of all colors, and if he moved they shimmered and changed hue so that the eye was bewildered"

Gandalf's White is pure and inferior to nothing. It comes from Eru. Saruman's White is just sterile and cold and ready to be transformed into *many colors* he is no longer pure , no longer white and he is showing his TRUE COLORS. I love the color symbolism in Tolkien's books and stories I think he was trying to tell in his own way that no matter how much you try, you will never be able to hide your TRUE COLORS because such colors will shine through you. Gandalf is the White at the end, he shines with light, he is pure he is White.

Sometimes I do worry too much, sometimes I feel like I want to hide away and be invisible but the fact is that no matter how hard I try to do that, my true colors will come through...and so will your, so maybe it's for the best to let them shine freely

♥ ♥

No comments: