Finding Things

Magic Whispers Ring

Yesterday was the day of 'finding things' , a white pebble....a ring .Once in a while hobbits do come across a ring. Some rings are more special than others, some are filled with dark powers and need to be destroyed in the fiery chasm of Mount Doom (just ask Frodo, he has a tale or two about that). So here I was  walking down the path covered in snow yesterday when I came across something shiny , a silver ring,  so the ring ended up in my pocket  and eventually on a finger on my right hand.  It was a bit of a coincidence  maybe ? Last night I also found a white pebble -  who knows, but I do believe everything happens for a reason.  My new ring is covered  with markings,  secret runes...

The ancients believed that runes possessed magical  powers, runes can be used to predict the future or to cast spells , and of course,  can be used as positive affirmations and can be worn as a talisman to attract them into the wearer's life. A silver band worn on my  finger, engraved with runes,  each rune a word with deep meaning  expressing that which I  most dream of  and need...will this work? Oh well, I am wearing the ring now, time will tell. The word "rune" means "whisper" , I do like whispered words and  promises , quiet and humble, unassuming ....just like a white pebble.

Runes in Middle-earth -  In his book 'The Hobbit' J.R.R. Tolkien uses a variant of the anglo-saxon runes for the writing on Thror's map. Eventually Tolkien created  a totally original runic writing system while writing The Lord of the Rings called the Cirth . Although most of the letters between historical runes and Tolkien's "cirth" are identical, they do not share the same values or meanings . In the history of Arda, the runic script called Cirth was invented by Daeron of Doriath to represent Sindarin words. Cirth  runes came to be used widely by races other than the Elves, and especially by the Dwarves. The Cirth letters were entirely made for carving on wood, stone or metal, hence their angular forms and straight lines. 

2 comments:

B-Byte said...

Ah yes, I did study some elder futhark. A beautiful creation if you ask me. We all like whispered words it usually means that those words are meant for one person...you.

Leilani said...

They are indeed *smiles*